Library Learning Standards
Our teaching standards are an alignment of English Language Arts Common Core State Standards and American Association of School Librarians (AASL) Standards Framework for Learners.
AASL standards are designed to prepare students for learning for life. In this dynamic age, students have unprecedented access to diverse and independent information resources. Learning has taken on new dimensions with the expansion of information and rapidly changing research and communication tools.
With a heightened demand for critical thinking and collaborative problem solving, students must develop the skills to become lifelong learners. School librarians guide students to make sense of new information in order to draw their own conclusions, create new knowledge, and share their knowledge with others in an increasingly global society.
Service and Interlibrary Loan Policies
- Sowams Library (SWE) is open to Barrington students and staff.
- Sowams students, school district staff members, and parents can check out all items that are part of our regular circulation.
- There are no overdue fines.
- Lost or significantly damaged materials must be paid for at the cost of replacement.
- Interlibrary loans requests can be placed by SWE patrons through the library staff.
- All noninstructional items in circulation are available for interlibrary loan.
- Library staff and patrons can submit interlibrary loan requests.
- Interlibrary loan requests will be filled at the discretion of the school librarian.
- Local patron hold requests take precedence over interlibrary loan requests for the same item.
- Items that are specifically reserved for in-library or classroom use are temporarily excluded from interlibrary loan as needed.
- An individual patron can request a maximum of two items at one time.
- ILL requests will be filled (or declined) as quickly as possible.
- There are no interlibrary loan fees or overdue fines.
- Lost or significantly damaged items must be paid for at the cost of replacement. In certain circumstances, a replacement copy may be accepted.
- Items borrowed through interlibrary loan have a 35 day loan period and can be renewed one time.